Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Zoo!

So Richard and I have ALWAYS loved taking Emmalynn to the zoo. There are so many things she discovers each and every time she goes to the zoo. Our local zoo is....small. But don't get me wrong -- I love it! I love that it is small not only because she sees things she likes and gets excited each time but also because it is small and takes about an hour to walk around. I cannot imagine going to the San Diego Zoo or the Omaha Zoo every weekend. I am sure I would adjust, but I have no idea how I would survive.

On the plus side, I would probably be more fit and lose more weight from all the walking and activity.

Maybe a move to Omaha or San Diego IS in order. :)

Anyway, we recently went to the Omaha Zoo on  Memorial Day and my first piece of advice for the Omaha Zoo -- don't go on a holiday. It was the only day I could go AND Richard could go that wasn't a Sunday, so I thought it would be a good idea. WRONG-O. It was PACKED not even 30 minutes after it opened.

With that being said, Emmalynn had an AWESOME time. So did I...and so did Richard! We LOVE going to the zoo and other museums. I guess that is the total bonus of Richard working for the Science Center -- we get a free pass to the zoo, science center, and other museums in Des Moines...PLUS free admission to other zoos and museums as well as half price admission to other places. I love it. LOVE it.

Here are some fun pictures from the zoo -- I am hoping we get to go again soon!!


Excited to leave and go to the Omaha Zoo!


Daddy and Emmalynn looking at an Alligator!!


Looking at the orangutan! He was just hanging out!


Stopping for a snack break!


Watching the Polar Bear get fed -- it was exciting (especially for Daddy! He practically RAN down to the bear exhibit so we could watch it!)


Waiting to ride the carousel! Emmalynn was SOOO excited!


Having so much fun on the carousel!


I have to say, we had a really great time! It was somewhat expensive...it was not free and was not cheap. But I say that we cannot get these days back -- Emmalynn will never be this age again and I want to do everything I can to make it memorable for her and memorable for US. It may be expensive and things may be tight for awhile, but to see her learning, discovering and enjoying herself...no amount of money is too much for that. I say that you cannot do too much...go to too many places...expose her to too much culture and learning. So if I had advice it would be to not worry about the money -- worry about the learning and the experience for your child. When that "light bulb" moment happens with your child...that is priceless. It really is. 

1 comment:

  1. The Minnesota Zoo is pretty big. Takes a few hours to walk around ;-) Just saying

    ReplyDelete