Monday, March 19, 2012

Our Trips to the Store...

Last night, with a lack of something to do with Emma that was not in the house, I took her to Toys R Us.

Now, I am not stupid enough to think that I would get out of there not buying Emmalynn ANYTHING. That is just unrealistic. It is a TOY STORE. But I can usually work it so that we end up buying something small and under $10. I found a cute little Fisher Price remote control or "Smart Phone"...but none of those seem to do. It basically consisted of pointing and saying, "Mommy!" and me getting the toy down, her playing with it for a minute or so, handing it back to me, and then pointing at the next toy and the pattern begins again.

But last night, Emmalynn found the shopping cart aisle. There were some that were a $11-12 and had cardboard boxes in there, aka pretend food. THEN there are the "Emmalynn-sized" shopping carts that had MINNIE MOUSE of them. And this one was $20. So, I let her push it around...imitating me and having fun. I was hoping that by the time we got to the checkout, she would forget about it and find some other, smaller, CHEAPER toy that I would buy her.

That didn't happen.

So now, we have a $20 Minnie Mouse shopping cart at home. One that has to go just about everywhere with her. And if it doesn't...well...a fit ensues.

I always give my boss a hard time about buying stuff for her daughter. She is 4 and whenever they go to the store, little Addison makes out like a bandit with a bunch of stuff that she probably will forget she has in a day or so. BUT it keeps from the fit, right?

And then there is my other co-worker who buys an ADORABLE $38 Peek-A-Boo Bear that her daughter LOVES (and my daughter would, too...I honestly want to buy one...) but was WAY overpriced. Yet we do it and feel completely justified. They are our beautiful babies...they deserve it, right??

I guess it is fair to say that we can preach it all we want, but when it comes to a fit ensuing in the middle of the store or giving our child a $5 toy, we are most likely going to get them the $5 toy so we can get done what we need to. Maybe that is just the reality of it and the sooner we (I) accept it, the easier it will be!!

No comments:

Post a Comment